Recently a reader left a comment under my Perfect Water Blog post on Amway Soap Box that I want to share with readers of this blog. JFI wrote:
What exactly do you have against Amway? Give me your top 5 reasons, one of which can't start with "well my friend...".Here is the comment answer that I gave:
Thanks for visiting. You ask for five things. Hmmm?Another reader, Katie W, left a comment following mine that describes what generally happens to Ambots, those joining the Amway Cult:
1. Amway Operates a 'closed market' swindle that preys on their very own. (Can you say "pernicious cult?")
2. Tool Scam. Yes, the secondary pyramid scheme, where all adherents to the cult buy a plethora of incredibly stupid 'how to screw your family, friends and co-workers' all while they are fleeced by both the tool kingpins and ol' Rich DeVos and his Ada Michigan Crime Family.
3. Nutrilite. The original pyramid scam that DeVos and Van Andel acquired when the Federal authorities effectively shut down Mytinger and Casselberry for of all things: Running a Pyramid Scheme! The vitamins, nothing more than 'soups' compressed into capsules and priced as to be extortionate are pushed--not so much on potential retail customers--but onto the IBO cult adherents.
4. Kingpins. Amway is organized and operated exactly like the mafia. These Kingpins head up a downline gang which control a secondary closed market swindle, the tool scam, basically fleecing the flock of recruits, who instead of prospering in the Amway business, lose all their investments of time and money.
5. Amway apologists. Generally, these erstwhile people, promote Amway as an incredible business opportunity, although the actual history tells a horror story--a financial holocaust--for the people foolish enough to believe all the Amway lies. Knowing the truth and promoting the scheme/scam makes these people guilty of intent to defraud others.
Everything the above poster said is TRUE! When I met my fiance, he was an Amway "cult" follower. Was completely hypnotized. Had been doing it for three years. I had to seriously sit down with him (after traveling to a few open meetings and a conference with him) and have a talk. He was $3000 in credit card debt with no savings. Why? The "tools" (books, cds, etc.), the pricey conferences, hotels, gas to get there, open meeting costs, PLUS buying MORE product than what he needed so his uplines could achieve certain thresholds! They convinced him to do it for the "good of the team". Not to mention, Amway products ARE MORE EXPENSIVE than comparable products. I am a financial analyst, I'm not an idiot. And I know this is a stupid investment. After my fiance got away, at least once a week he wonders how he would've been so stupid and gullible to fall for it. He kicks himself everyday for getting into so much debt because of Amway.If you arrived at this blog post because you have been asked to join the a MLM business opportunity and you are doing some research into the supposed 'Opportunity' you can save yourself all the time, money, and social stigma that these business cults desire to take from you simply by declining their offer.